Wednesday, August 19, 2015

VIDEO TUTORIAL: Mixed Media Art Journal Cover Using My NEW TCW Stencils and Dusty Attic Chipboard!

Mixed Media journal cover by Gabrielle Pollacco using Dusty Attic Chipboard and The Crafter's Workshop Stencils, Organic Matter

So I've made August my "spend time with family month", just wanting to take advantage of the time the kids have off school and make the most of it!  But I have taken a few moments out of our fun time to do a little video tutorial of an art journal cover that I made up as a sample using stencils I recently designed for The Crafter's Workshop!


I created both a positive and negative stencil design for this stencil that I named "Organic Matter". For this project I used the smaller 6x6 inch stencil (for the back) and the 12x12 inch mask style stencil for the front of the book cover. (You can find all my stencils online at The Scrapbook Diaries, I just heard that Janene has all the stencils in house now! and has already begun sending out all the pre-orders!! ....you can also use the TCW store finder for a TCW dealer near you).


Dusty Attic Products used on this project:
~ Dusty Attic Journal
~ Skeleton Clock Frames
~ Geometric Corners
~ Nuts and Bolts
~ Rulers
~ Cogs #2
~ Jumbo Cogs
~ Dusty In Color Paint: Hot Chocolate, Raisin, Sunburnt Orange
~ Dusty Attic Rusting Powder

When I was designing my stencils I have to say that I already had all these wonderful Dusty Attic chipboard designs in mind to use with my stencils.  I just love the industrial look of these chipboard pieces and thought they would work well with my Organic Matter stencils.

As I was creating this cover design I decided to flip on my camera and shoot a video tutorial to show how I used the stencils and also to show how I added the rusty finish to my Dusty Attic chipboard pieces.  So if you have time, give yourself and little break, sit back and enjoy!....



I used a whole lotta mixed media products to make this project, to find the list just click on the youtube link (bottom right corner of the screen above....when it's playing).....you can find the full list in the Youtube description area underneath my youtube video (click the down arrow beside the title to open up the description area).


I always like to keep the back of my art journal book covers free of a lot of 3D elements as the back seems to take a lot of wear and tear.  So I stuck to just adding some texture with my 6x6 'Organic Matter' stencil.  I added some stamping and used the same mixed media colors and sprays I used on the front of the journal cover.


Here is a view of the front and back of the journal cover.  I like that you can open up the spin of the journal cover so that you can remove the front and back to work on them.  Then you can reattach when the painting is done. NOTE: this is more of a notebook journal.....if you are looking to have an art journal where you can paint on the papers you will want to order a art journal that has watercolor or manila papers inside them.


I used Dusty Attic's Rusting Powder on all of my chipboard pieces for this project. I so much love the effect of the rusting powder.  All I did was paint the pieces with some of my Dusty Attic paints and while wet, sprinkled on the rusting powder.  I then sprayed the pieces with a solution of 75% white vinegar and 25% water.  I gave it about 20 mins to a half hour to dry/rust.  I then lightly brushed with some Sunburnt Orange DA paint to add to the corroded look. (see video above for more details)


I used Golden Molding Paste (but really any texture paste will do the trick) with my TCW Organic Matter Mask Stencil (12x12 size) to create the veined look on my background design.  After applying all my background spritzes and inks, I hit the relief areas of the stencil with some Luminarte H20's in Egyptian Gold,  and Pearlex Mica Powders in Aztec Gold and Turquoise (see video for application).


This journal cover was so much fun to create!  I hope I've inspired you all to get out your DA chipboard (you can find a large selection of DA chipboard at The Scrapbook Diaries), TCW stencils and mixed media products and get creating your very own mixed media project!  Thanks for stopping by my blog today, I always appreciate all the kind comments and feedback and love to hear what you all think of the new products I've designed!


38 comments:

Скрапмамзель said...

Очень красиво!!! Спасибо за видео!))

Unknown said...

Stunning cover...LOVE all the texture and elements...so cool...

Di Garling said...

Such beautiful art Gabbi and fantastic tutorial too. TFS. thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Romy said...

Your mixed media is always pure eye-candy and this album cover is no exception. It looks absolutely gorgeous!

Unknown said...

This piece is incredible, Gabrielle! I've been making mixed media journal covers for the last couple of weeks, so I was immediately drawn to this. Do many wonderful things about it. I noticed that you are now a member of the Finnabair & Friends - Open Studio Facebook group. So glad to see you there. Hope you are submitting this for her design team call!

rosiejt said...

I haven't yet had time to watch the video, but that looks so amazing. Superb!

Daniele said...

OMG so loving this, the colours are stunning.......

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!!! Looks like fun I have to try!! Awaiting my stencils as i'm typing this!!

Unknown said...

This is beautiful,I love the colours how effective they are when blended together,your stencils a great,love the finish you get from them.

Lisa Landry said...

Really enjoyed the video! I really love all of the texture, Lindy's sprays and your wonderful stencils! Beautiful piece.

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Aw, thanks so much Linda! Do you post your work? I'd love to see your covers! ....LOL, I didn't know I was part of Finn's group, maybe I got added because I commented on some projects posted there?....I wish I had time for more design teams, but the ones I'm on already take up a lot of my time, so I won't be applying for her team. Perhaps I'll see you on it?

Kathy Bradley said...

Absolutely wonderful and gorgeous! I am headed to the tutorial now.

Beverley said...

Stunning Gabi!! Your video 17 minutes of enchantment! (I'm off to use my "rusting powder" - feeling much more confident of "how to"). xx

Rachelle Olaridge said...

Hi Gabi. Gorgeous mix media journal cover. Love the colors, DA chippies, and CW stencils used. Outstanding tutorial. Always enjoy watching yours. Thanks for stopping by. You make my day with a huge smile. Keep your inspiring work coming it keeps my mojo going.
Love and Huggies!
Rachelle

mamablitger said...

Gabrielle your journal is awesome. I love your color choices and your chosen embelliishments. It looks awesome !!
Thank you for creating a fab video.hugs from Monica.... Spain

Liz said...

So so lovely Gabrielle, awesome work and thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Great video love the journal awesome colours. So looking forward to using the stencils you have designed. Loved the music that went with the video. Worked so well together - inspiring. Thanks Janice - NZ

Lizzyc said...

Oh wow! Your journal covers look magnificent! Just loved watching you create on the video too! Luscious colours, fabulous textures, love the chippie pieces you have used too! Thank so much for sharing this wonderful video and journal covers!

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks Janice, ...nice to hear you enjoyed my music choice (one of the first comments I got on my YouTube challenge was that they hated it! Lol!) ...but then I got a number of positive comments on it as well...I was going for a more edgy sound as the project has a steampunk/industrial feel to it. Thanks for your feedback! xo

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

*Channel. ..not challenge, lol, clumsy thumbsies!

Patty O'Malley said...

Awesome!

Rea' said...

Very pretty, love the color combo and all those fabulous textures !

Unknown said...

beautiful work, I love your choice of colours, thanks for sharing such a fabulous tutorial with us

jenny said...

Hi Gabrielle awesome video which i'm just about to watch for the third time. Its 17 minutes of crafters heaven. In fact i dont know why doctors dont prescribe your videos as medicine for depression. I always come away with a smile on my face.

The colours and textures on this piece are so so beautiful.
In my minds eye i thought i knew which of your stencils i was going to buy. But now i see i have to get the Organic Matter Mask too. I just love the effect the mask creates.
In another day or two your stencils will be in the UK........can't wait.

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Thanks so much Jenny for your very kind feedback! Yes, I'm so happy that my stencils will be accessible in so many countries worldwide! Hope you enjoy working with them (tag me in if you post a project using them, I'd love to see!) xo

Janene said...

Awesome video and techniques as always!!!! Can't wait to play along!

Elfi said...

Hallo Gabrielle,
vielen Dank für das Video, das wirklich sehr anschaulich erklärt, wie so eine Seite entsteht. Nun kann ich es kaum erwarten, selbst zu experimentieren. Aber sicherlich wird meine Seite nicht halb so wundervoll wie deine.
Ganz liebe Grüße
Elfi

Win Dinn, Artist said...

What a stunning cover - love all the elements you used!

rosiejt said...

I just love the way explain and show fully all the fascinating and fantastic elements that make up this Mixed Media Art Journal Cover. Thank you!

Liz said...

So so stunning and thanks so much for sharing . I am certainly going to try this. I have had my journal for so long waiting for the right inspiration and you have definitely given it to me. Thanks again 💜

Diane said...

An Amazing work or art! I love the Colors & Texture! Thanks so much for sharing, you are a creative inspiration!! I can't wait to make some art journals 😊

smokeysmom said...

Fabulous steampunk journal cover! I have ordered your stencils and stamps from Scrapbook Diaries and can't wait to receive them. Your crackeled paint stamp is my fav! Love your work:)

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Aw, you just made my day hon! I love to hear that people are enjoying my stamp designs! Hope you enjoy the stencils as well! Thanks so much! xo

selena said...

magnifiques couvertures; merci pour la vdeo!

Jessica said...

http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/layout/5466657.html
I used your hairspray idea! Love it! Works great!

Unknown said...

I love the music! What is it called??

Unknown said...

I love the music! What is it called??

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Hi Rev, the music is called From Rusholme with Love by Mint Royale. xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails